The Housing Authority of the County of Kern is now accepting applications for the Rent and Utility Assistance Program. If you are a renter and were impacted financially by COVID-19 you may be eligible to receive short-term assistance for rent and/or utility costs.
Help with rent and utilities is now available if you meet the following requirements:
1. At lease one member of you household qualifies for unemployment or has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19.
2. Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability; and
3. Have a household income at or below 80 percent of the area median; and
4. Are a renter in the City of Bakersfield or Kern County
How to Apply
Apply online (fastest method) now by clicking on the below link, by email, or in person (with an appointment). Only submit one application, as duplicates can cause a delay in services.
Chrome is the preferred browser when applying online:
Apply by email:
Download application, fully complete, and email with with required documents to RUP@kernha.org. Should you have any questions about your application, or if you need assistance completing this form, contact us at: 661-578-5339.
You can also mail application to:
Download application below:
Tenant Application - English
Tenant Application - Spanish
Upon submitting your application, the following required documents need to be provided:
- Valid government phone ID
- A copy of your lease, rental agreement, or other evidence of your rental obligation
- If you have one, provide a copy of your most recent past-due rent statement
- If you have one, provide a copy of your eviction notice
- Income verification (see application for all that apply)
If you do not have any of the required documents noted above, please complete the self-attestation form below and provide with your application:
Landlords if your tenants are not able to pay rent because they were impacted by COVID-19 you can also apply for assistance by applying online and/or completing the below application.
Landlord Application - English
Landlord Application - Spanish