Housing Authority of the County of Kern

FAQs: Residents' Frequently Asked Questions

The following applies to the Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher programs
For each member of the family residing in the household under 18 years of age, or a full-time student (other than the head of the household or spouse): $480
For any elderly or disabled/handicapped family: $400
For any elderly or disabled/handicapped family, medical expenses in excess of 3 percent of annual family income.
For any family member employed or furthering his/her education, reasonable child care expenses.

The Housing Authority of the County fo Kern periodically reviews the records of all of its Assisted Housing Program tenants with the Social Security Administration and the Kern County Department of Human Services.
If unreported income is found, a tenant may be terminated.
Income for all housing programs administered by the Housing Authority must be verified by an independent third party (employer, etc.)

Total tenant payment is the highest of the following (rounded to the nearest dollar):
  • 30 percent of monthly adjusted income, or
  • 10 percent of gross monthly income, or
  • A minimum established by the Agency in accordance with HUD regulations, or
  • A ceiling rent established by the Agency in accordance with HUD regulations.

Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received by the family head and spouse (even if temporarily absent) and by each additional member of the family over 17 years of age.
This includes all income derived from assets.

Section 8 Tenants:
  • If something needs to be fixed, do not wait. Contact the on-site property manager or the landlord.

All Other Affordable Housing Programs:

  • Report the problem to the on-site Housing Manager.

A maintenance emergency:
  • Threatens someone’s health or safety immediately, or
  • Will cause property damage if not corrected immediately

Some examples of true emergencies include:

  • Leaking gas
  • Sewer backups
  • Fallen electrical lines
  • Flooding
  • If you see any of these types of problems, call for assistance anytime, day or night: (661) 631-8500. This applies to ALL Agency Housing sites.

Use gas & electricity wisely:
  • Turn off lights when not in use. Keep light bulbs clean.
  • Shut-off the TV set, radio, or stereo when not in use.
  • In cold weather, dress warmly in your home.
  • In cold weather, open window coverings on the sunny side of your home during the day for solar energy.
  • Close window coverings on cloudy days or in the evening (after the sun sets).
  • Use cold water in your washing machine and wash a full load.

  • Assistance with job traning and employment
  • Home-Ownership Programs
  • Credit Counseling
  • Workshops for Personal Development
  • Food Baskets
  • Mental & Physical Health Counseling/Referrals
  • Resident Advisory Councils

If any resident on any Agency Assisted Program fails to pay rent, destroys property, or violates his/her lease, management will seek eviction proceedings to keep housing in decent condition for the majority of residents who follows the rules.
Serious Lease Violations include:
Failure to report changes in income or family size accurately and/or in a timely manner; destruction of Agency property; keeping unauthorized pets; poor housekeeping habits; fighting; displaying weapons; or threatening the health and safety of other residents and staff. These are all serious lease violations that can result in eviction.
What about Illegal Drug Use & Alcohol Abuse?
The Agency’s lease was modified in 2003 to make it easier to evict any Agency Assisted Program resident who engages in illegal drug usage and/or in drug-related criminal activity. Residents can also be evicted for alcohol abuse if their behavior adversely affects their neighbors.
Residents who violate their lease in this manner will be notified of their violation in writing and will receive either a 30-day notice of lease termination, or (in the most serious cases), a three-day notice of lease termination.

Housing Inspections are performed on an annual basis on all Agency managed housing. In the Section 8 program, inspections are completed every other year.
Inspections are done:
  • When you move in
  • At least once a year (Agency managed housing) or every other year (Section 8)
  • When you request a special inspection However, the Agency has the right to inspect any unit and will conduct special inspections between regular annual inspections at will. Residents will normally be given notice prior to an inspection, unless an emergency exists.

You are charged a monthly rent that is either based on 30 percent of your adjusted household income or a rent schedule. The rent is calculated according to federal regulations.
In order to rent a unit, you must sign a written lease. This shows the amount of rent you must pay, what management will provide, and what you are expected to do.

The Agency does not accept cash. You should make your rent payment payable to the Housing Authority of the County of Kern by mail or by taking your check or money order to your Housing Manager. Please be sure to include your correct address on your check or money order.

Ask your Housing Specialist or manager if the person qualifies to be added to your lease.
Obtain an Add-On packet at the Section 8 or Applications Department (LIPH).
Have your landlord sign the first page for approval.
Have the person you are adding on complete the packet.
Make an appointment to bring the person you are adding to the Section 8 or Applications Department (LIPH).
Once your Housing Specialist has signed the add-on packet, schedule an interview with the Applications Department.
Please bring all necessary documentation to the interview.

BC Bakersfield College
CAPK Community Action Partnership of Kern
C.L.E.T.S. California Law Enforcement Telecommunications Systems
DHS Department of Human Services
EOC Economic Opportunity Commission of San Luis Obispo County, Inc.
ETR Employers’ Training Resource
FLC Farm Labor Center

FMRs Fair Market Rents
FSSP Family Self-Sufficiency Program
GBLA Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance
GEAHI Golden Empire Affordable Housing, Inc.
HAP Housing Assistance Payment
HUD U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
KALC Kern Adult Literacy Council
KCSOS Kern County Superintendent of Schools
KEDC Kern Economic Development Corporation Kern
KERN COG Kern Council of Governments
LIPH Low Income Public Housing
MAOF Mexican American Opportunity Foundation
MOU Memorandum of Understanding
OMS Office of Migrant Services
PHAS Public Housing Assessment Systems
RCAC Rural Community Assistance Corporation
SEMAP Section 8 Management Assessment Program
SRO Single Room Occupancy
TANF Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
THC Transitional Housing Center
URP Utility Reimbursement Program
USDA-RD United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development